St. Martin's Church:           
      
click to enlarge ...

 

St. Martin’s was founded in 1699 (and opened for worship in 1702) by a bequest of local resident Walter Martin to provide an alternative place of worship and burial for non-Quakers. The church built in 1702 was connected with St. Paul’s of Chester and St. John’s of Concord. Missionaries were sent from Philadelphia to preach to a scattered congregation. Problems arose with the distance for the preachers from Philadelphia and a minister from the Swedish Church of Wilmington presided. By 1725 an English minister was sent and settled at the Church. In June 1760, the people of the mission decided upon the name of St. Martin’s Church instead of the Chapel of Chichester. The new name was in memory of its first benefactor.

The church and its congregation have been centrally involved in the development of Marcus Hook from an early market town to prominent 18th & 19th century seaport, to 20th century mill town and refinery port. The church has not only been an important place of worship for the river front settlements, but also its successive structures have housed the town’s corporate and political meetings from 1750 until the recent past and served as a non-denominational school from 1745 to the construction of public schools in the 1850’s. Members such as William Trainer and John Larkin, Jr., donated money and land to the church.

St. Martin’s parishioners outgrew the church and built a new place of worship in Boothwyn, Pa in 1967. In 1985 the Marcus Hook Community Development Corporation obtained the church and cemetery and immediately began a comprehensive historic restoration program. The restoration work which followed was based on historically accurate architectural analysis and detailing. Within recent years the church has been leased to different church congregations. The current tenant is the Bible Presbyterian Church.

St. Martin’s remains the pride and focal point of Marcus Hook. It was designated a Local Historic Landmark by Borough Council in 1979. It is one of the last survivors of the river-oriented society and a continuing symbol of Penn’s religious tolerance.

List of Patriots and Soldiers Buried in St. Martin’s Cemetery
  • Samuel Armor – Soldier
  • James Art – Soldier
  • John Burns – Soldier
  • Samuel Burns – Soldier
  • William Burns – Soldier
  • Joseph Cobourn – Soldier
  • Lewis Davis Sr. – Committee of Safety, Patriot
  • Zachariah Derrick – Soldier
  • John Flower – Soldier and Captain
  • Richard Flower, Jr. – Committee of Safety, Patriot
  • Benjamin Ford – Soldier
  • William Ford – Soldier
  • John Harding – Committee of Correspondence, Patriot
  • Benjamin Johnson – Soldier
  • David Johnson – Soldier
  • Bezer Lamplugh – Soldier
  • Isaac Lawrence – Soldier
  • William Lewis – Committee of Correspondence, Patriot
  • David Marshall – Soldier and Lieutenant


  • Thomas Moore, Jr. – Soldier
  • Thomas Moore, Sr. – Captain of the galley “Hancock”
  • Samuel Price – Soldier
  • Richard Riley - Patriot
  • William Talley – Soldier
  • John Taylor – Committee of Observation, Patriot
  • Mordica Thompson – Soldier
  • Joseph Waggoner - Soldier